I am 30 years old and from a town in Cheshire England. I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was 10 years old, my parents were told that it would be unlikely I would leave high school with any qualification. I proved them wrong by getting my degree in drama studies with film and screen studies.
I have always wanted to blog about my reading especially when I started Goodread and even more when I started their reading challenges last year. The challenge gave me the push to look for different authors and book series to read.
Some other fact about me:
- I have two dogs (Labrador) called Poppy (Black Lab) and Tilly (Red Fox Lab)
- I love all the Marvel films.
- I presented the best Book at the Disney Channel Kids Award, the Winner was J.K Rowling but she didn’t collect the award herself.
- I like to draw and hope to get confident to share them.
- I have a Two sister, a Twin and a younger sister.
- I have Fibromyalgia and Ankylosing Spondylitis.
- I have been a fan of Supernatural since it started.
- My Gran is the person that got me into Crime fiction and crime TV. Now it me who introduces her to new book and TV shows.
- I love Orangutangs.
- I like to go on holiday on my own.( All I need is a Good book.)
- One of my favourite reailty shows is Ru Pauls Drag Race, and my Favouite winner is Bianca Del Rio.
The word Dyslexia comes from the Greek word and means ‘difficulty with words’.
Dyslexia is a life long condition, it is usually genetic, inherited condition (In my family it affect my twin sister and dad as well.) Dyslexia affects people differently, not everyone will have the same strengths and weakness. My twin sister is better at spelling and i am better at reading.
Dyslexia affects around 10% of the population and can occur in all races, backgrounds and abilities.
The definition of Dyslexia: “A general term for disorders that involve difficulty in learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols, but that do not affect general intelligence.”
A concept that I really want to make people aware is that people with dyslexia are not stupid.We just learn and process the world differently.
Dyslexia is a Specific learning difficulties and is often co-occurs with other related conditions such as dyspraxia (That mine- just don’t ask me to catch anything), dyscalculia and attention deficit disorder.
The bonus of dyslexia is that we have a strong visual, creative and problem solving skills.
Some Famous People with Dyslexia:
- Richard Branson
- Tom Cruise
- Mohammed Ali
- Magic Johnson
- Jennifer Aniston
- Alexander Graham Bell
- Orlando Bloom
- Lewis Carroll
- Anthony Hopkins
- Steve Jobs
Information gathered from http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk and wikipedia.org.